Monday, July 27, 2009

Week 6 PLN Report

This week I reconnected with three people that I hadn't spoken with in a few years. One is a college chemistry prof in Pennsylvania, one is a chemistry prof. at nearby University of Montana, and one is a former colleague of mine that now teaches at another HS in town. As a result of my conversations with each one, it now looks like my chem class may be participating in some air quality monitoring in our valley area, and I got some good feedback/ideas about managing the set of netbooks that I will be getting (instead of textbooks) for my physics classroom (Yeah!). I also got some good advice to seriously consider using Google Docs for some collaborative group lab report writing that my kids will be working on. All good stuff, I must say. Vive le PLN !! (as you might guess, I've also been keeping an eye on the Tour de France lately).

3 comments:

  1. So here's my big question: through what medium did you re-connect? Twitter, Facebook, other? Have you been experimenting with different types of networking methods and which one have you found most useful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the best piece of advice you received on collaborating via google docs on the lab report writing? How do you see it working?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google Docs allows multiple users to write/edit one common document that is always accessible by any of those users. What I envision my students doing is starting to write their first lab report as a group (seated at computers) during my class so that they can get a feel for what that is like, then they will have the rest of the week (not during class, however) to continue and finish putting it together and editing it. I am new to it as well, but I think I've got it mostly figured out. The only good advice I've received thus far is that I should seriously consider using this web tool. That being said, I am all ears if anyone wants to bestow some good advice about using it!

    ReplyDelete